Royal Victoria Patriotic School, Essendon, near Hatfield, Hertfordshire

The Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum for Girls was opened in 1859 to main and educate up to 300 orphan daughters of soldiers, sailors, and marines who had died in the service of their country. Until 1939, it had occupied premises at Wandsworth Common and had then been evacuated to Wales during the Second World War.

In 1946, the institution, now known as the Royal Victoria Patriotic School, was relocated to new premises at Bedwell House, Bedwell Park, Essendon, near Hatfield, Hertfordshire.

Bedwell House, Essendon, early 1900s. © Peter Higginbotham

Bedwell House, Essendon, early 1900s. © Peter Higginbotham

The School closed in 1972.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

  • The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. Has Inspection Reports (1962-67); Visitors' book; Photographs etc. of the School's closure (1972).

Bibliography

  • None noted at present.
  • None identified at present.