St Olave's Home for Girls, Exeter, Devon

St Olave's Home for Girls was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1894 in a house at 32 Bartholomew Street East, Exeter, with the official opening by Lady Northcote and dedication by the Bishop of Peterborough taking place on October 11th. The home provided accommodation for 20 girls aged from 8 to 14.

In November 1902, the home moved to larger premises at Polsloe Road, Exeter, and was then renamed the St Lawrence's Home.

After the Bartholomew Street Home was vacated by the Waifs and Strays Society, the property was taken over by the Exeter branch of the Ladies' Association for the Care of Friendless Girls as new premises for their Magdalen Home.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.