Eythorne Home for Boys, Dover, Kent

The Eythorne Home for Boys is believed to have been founded in around 1883 by Mr Thomas Blackman in a house on Liverpool Street, Dover. It was originally employed as a summer holiday home for boys from London and other large cities. The home subsequently moved to the village of Eythorne, five miles to the north-west of Dover.

In 1891, the establishment was taken over as a residential home by the Waifs and Strays Society. The formal opening by the Bishop of Dover took place on June 12th. The home provided accommodation for 12 boys aged from 7 to 12. The matron was Miss Cunningham, sister of the master of the Society's home for boys at Frome.

The Eythorne home closed in 1895.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.