Farnworth and Birkdale Auxiliary Home for Roman Catholic Boys, Liverpool, Lancashire
On April 17th, 1913, an Auxiliary Home for boys from the Farnworth and Birkdale Roman Catholic Reformatories was certified for operation at 28 Great George Square, Liverpool. The Home, which was run by the Liverpool Catholic Reformatory Association, could accommodate up to 34 boys from the age of fourteen upwards. It acted as a halfway house for those making the transition from institutional care to independent life and employment in the city.
The Home was officially closed on April 17th, 1923. The premises no longer survive.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Liverpool Archives, 3rd Floor, Central Library, William Brown Street, L3 8EW. No specific information, but may be mentioned in the records of the Liverpool Catholic Reformatory Association.
- Carpenter, Mary Reformatory Schools, for the Children of the Perishing and Dangerous Classes, and for Juvenile Offenders (1851, General Books)
- Carlebach, Julius Caring for Children in Trouble (1970, Routledge & Kegan Paul)
- Abel Smith, Doroth Crouchfield: A History of the Herts Training School 1857-1982 (2008, Able Publishing)
- Garnett, Emmeline Juvenile offenders in Victorian Lancashire: W J Garnnett and the Bleasdale Reformatory (2008, Regional Heritage Centre, Lancaster University)
- Hicks, J.D. The Yorkshire Catholic Reformatory, Market Weighton (1996, East Yorkshire Local History Society)
- Slocombe, Ivor Wiltshire Reformatory for Boys, Warminster, 1856-1924 (2005, Hobnob Press)
- Duckworth, J.S. The Hardwicke Reformatory School, Gloucestershire (in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1995, Vol. 113, 151-165)
- Red Lodge Museum, Bristol — a former girls' reformatory.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.