Fairby Grange Reformatory for Girls, Fawkham, Kent
The Fairby Grange Reformatory School for Girls received its official certification on November 8, 1921. It was based in premises at Ash Road, Fawkham, and could accommodate 20 girls.
The School was established by the Fellowship of Reconciliation and, according to its warden, Miss Grace Costin, Fairby Grange was a new experiment in penal reform. The School endeavoured to create a family spirit, giving the girls trust and responsibility.
Evidently, the experiment was judged not to be successful and the School closed in July, 1922.
The premises subsequently became the Bermondsey Municipal Convalescent Home for Mothers and Babies. The site now occupied by the Fairby Grange Residential Home.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Carpenter, Mary Reformatory Schools, for the Children of the Perishing and Dangerous Classes, and for Juvenile Offenders (1851, General Books)
- Carlebach, Julius Caring for Children in Trouble (1970, Routledge & Kegan Paul)
- Abel Smith, Doroth Crouchfield: A History of the Herts Training School 1857-1982 (2008, Able Publishing)
- Garnett, Emmeline Juvenile offenders in Victorian Lancashire: W J Garnnett and the Bleasdale Reformatory (2008, Regional Heritage Centre, Lancaster University)
- Hicks, J.D. The Yorkshire Catholic Reformatory, Market Weighton (1996, East Yorkshire Local History Society)
- Slocombe, Ivor Wiltshire Reformatory for Boys, Warminster, 1856-1924 (2005, Hobnob Press)
- Duckworth, J.S. The Hardwicke Reformatory School, Gloucestershire (in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1995, Vol. 113, 151-165)
- Red Lodge Museum, Bristol — a former girls' reformatory.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.