St Anthony's, St Theresa's and St Vincent's Homes, Hatton, near Feltham, Middlesex
In 1897, the Crusade of Rescue (now the Catholic Children's Society, Westminster) acquired a large property for use as a boys' home at Fagg's Road, Hatton, near Feltham, Middlesex. In 1899, extensive works and alterations were carried out at the premises but the establishment did not fully come into use until 1905. The home could accommodate up to 200 boys, aged 2 to 12 years at their time of admission.
The boys moved out in 1923 and the home underwent substantial alterations and improvements. On June 1st, 1924, it was re-opened by Cardinal Bourne as St Anthony's Home for Girls, now run by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul.
In 1935, a new home for small children was erected at the west of the site. Known as St Theresa's, it accommodated up to 45 girls aged from fifteen months to five years at St. Anthony's. Two years later, a babies' home was added where 20 infants aged from newborn to fifteen months could be housed. Feltham was now able to provide for girls from zero plus until they are able to leave school and earn their own living.
In 1939, just before the outbreak of the Second World War, construction of a new home for boys was completed at the site and adopting the name St Vincent's and run by the Daughters of Charity. The St Vincent's Home was closed in 1958 and the inmates transferred to the Crusade of Rescue Home at 73 St Charles' Square, North Kensington.
The Feltham site was closed in 1962 and the inmates transferred to the Crusade of Rescue Home at 73 St Charles' Square, North Kensington. The Feltham buildings were subsequently demolished as part the expansion of Heathrow Airport.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Daughters Of Charity Of St Vincent De Paul, Provincial House, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1RE. (Archivist: Sister Bernadette Ryder DC) Has one register (1923-30).
- Catholic Children's Society (Westminster) [formerly the Crusade of Rescue], 73 St Charles Square, London W10 6EJ. No registers, but has some card indexes and files.
- Waugh, N These, My Little Ones (1911, Sands & Co.)
- Hyland, Jim Changing Times Changing Needs: A History of the Catholic Children's Society (Westminster) (2009)
- The Catholic Childtren's Society (Westminster)
- Daughters of Charity (British Province)
- Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul Services
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.