St George's Home for Boys, Fleetwood, Lancashire

The St George's Home for Boys was opened by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1939 at Fleetwood, Lancashire. The home, which was located in the old military hospital on Cemetery Lane (now Beach Road), Fleetwod, was used as the wartime evacuation home of the St George's Home For Boys at Kersal, and the Rochdale Home for Boys. How long the home remained open is unclear, although the Kersal boys had been relocated to Ponty-y-Pant in North Wales by 1943.

The Fleetwood site no longer exists.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.