Forest Hill Girls' Industrial Home, Forest Hill, London
The Forest Hill Girls' Industrial Home was established in 1881 at 16 Rojack Road, Forest Hill, in south-east London. An Industrial Home for Boys, run by the same committee, had been open since 1873 in the adjoining house at 17 Rojack Road. The stated object of the Homes was 'to reclaim destitute boys and girls, and train them to earn an honest livelihood.'
On June 17th, 1890, the foundation stone for the Home's new purpose-built premises was laid by Her Royal Highness Princess Louise. The new building, named Louise House, was formally opened on March 21st, 1891, by Mr C.J.W. Rabbits. It was designed by local architect Thomas Aldwinckle, who was also responsible for Shaftesbury House, the new premises for the Boys' home, opened in 1884.
The Home closed in around 1935. At the start of the Second World War, the building was taken over for use by Air Raid Precautions personnel. After the war, the building was used as a clinic and as a welfare centre. At the time of writing, the property is standing empty.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.