Abbot Memorial Industrial School, Gateshead, County Durham
The Abbot Memorial Ragged and School was founded in 1867 by Mrs Catherine Abbot, in memory of her husband, John George Abbot, and father-in-law, John Abbot, proprietors of the Park Iron and Brass Works. In March, 1867, a competition was launched for a design for the new building whose construction was to cost about £2,000, with a prize of £25 being offered for the winning submission. The winning submission was by Alfred Swan and work on the building, at a 2.5-acre site near to Cramer Dykes on Durham Road, Gateshead, began a few months later. The ceremonial laying of the foundation stone was performed by Mrs Abbot on October 17th, 1867, and the building completed a year or so later.
The School site is shown on the 1897 map below.
An 1867 account of the building recorded that:
On January 27th, 1869, the establishment was certified to operate as an Industrial School, allowing its inmates to include children placed under detention by magistrates. The School commenced operation on February 8th, with Mr George Higginbottom (or Higginbotham) as superintendent and his wife, Frances, as matron. Other staff appointed were a schoolmaster, warden, tailoress, shoemaker, workmistress, cook and assistant.
The children attend schooled and worked alternately morning and afternoon, one half each time. Industrial training for the boys included firewood cutting, tailoring, shoemaking, gardening, and a little carpentry. For the girls, the it was the usual employment of housework, needlework, and the school's washing. The firewood was sold to local householders and generated a significant income. The boys were trusted with its delivery and bringing back the money from the customers.
In 1882, Miss Anderson replaced Mrs Higginbottom as matron. The following year, Mr Higginbottom was succeeded as superintendent by Mr Charles G. Nicholls who was to hold the post until July 1910, alongside a number of different matrons.
A report in 1896 described the School as not particularly well-built or conveniently arranged, with some of the rooms being rather gloomy. There were two play-yards and about half an acre of garden at the back of the property. New workshops had recently been built. The allocation of boys to different tasks was as follows: Tailors, 13; Shoemakers, 12; Gardeners, 11; Sawmills, 4; Boilers 4; Joiners/carvers/wood-turners, 13; Wood-chopping, 31; Office boys, 2; In full-time school, 13. The boys' brass and reed band now numbered 40 players. Evening classes were being held in machine and building construction and drawing. The girls learned to knit and sew. They made, mended, and washed for the boys, and scrubbed and cleaned the whole house. A class of 18 girls received weekly instruction in cookery. There were a few small garden plots, in which, however, the girls were said to not take much interest. For recreation, the boys were supplied with soft balls and the girls with skipping ropes. The boys attended Gateshead swimming baths twice a week in the summer and learned to swim. There were about 120 books in the boys' library and 40 or 50 in the girls'. Games were also supplied to the boys, but they took too much interest in their drawing to pay much attention to them. Inmates from Gateshead of good conduct were allowed to visit their own homes once a week, the girls on Saturday and the boys on Sunday afternoons. Those from further afield could go home once a fortnight. Mrs Abbot provided a Christmas dinner and there was an annual trip to a sports event at South Shields. Magic lantern entertainments and other treats were provided by lady friends of the School. very few serious offences. A mark system was in operation, where the inmates' conduct affected their leave and privileges and annual prizes. A 'troublesome party' for extra work had replaced minor corporal punishment, and the home visits were said to be a great incentive to good conduct.
Inspection reports for the School expressed increasing dissatisfaction with the adequacy of separation of the sexes, and suggesting that the girls be moved to a separate establishment. This eventually took place in 1905 and the girls were dispersed amongst other institutions, The School was re-certified to accommodate 150 boys on July 1st, 1905.
In 1910, Mr Robert Barlow took over as superintendent, with Miss Mary Bryers now as matron. It was reported that a number of structural alterations and improvements had been made, including male and female officers' rooms, recreation room, band practice room, gymnasium, additional lavatory accommodation and bathroom. The garden had been rearranged, plots having been formed for 12 boys on the site of old carpet-beating frames.
The School closed in 1929. The building, later known as Red Stamp House, was demolished in 1968.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- David H. Thomas The Abbot Memorial Industrial School, Gateshead (1984, Durham County Local History Society, Bulletin 32, pp.69-74)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.