Govan Street Day Industrial School, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
The Govan Street Day Industrial School was established in 1908 and was the fifth of the eventual eight such establishments to be opened in Glasgow. Its premises, a former day school adapted for the purpose, were formally certified for operation on 10 August 1908 with accommodation for up to 155 children, aged 5 to 14 years. It began practical operation two days later with Mrs C. Casey as superintendent.
The Govan Street establishment (also known as Rose Street Special School) was unusual in the range of facilities it provided. The ground floor was used as a 'cripple school' for the physically disabled, the middle floor for 'mentally defective' children, and the upper floor as a day industrial school. The lavatories, playground, dining-room, and other parts of the building were used by all sections at different times of the day.
An inspection in December 1909 recorded 100 boys in the school, including 9 voluntary cases, and 49 girls, including 8 voluntary cases. Classroom subjects included singing, composition, recitation, mental arithmetic, geography, history and object lessons. The boys learned technical drawing and received 'manual instruction' (woodwork), while the girls, who were mostly young, assisted with the cookery and other domestic duties. Drill had been introduced, taken in the cramped classrooms. It was suggested that the noise from a neighbouring factory might be reduced by the installation of double windows, There was also a great need for a drill hall. Mrs Casey left at the end of 1909 and was replaced by Mrs Mary Fisher.
The 1911 inspection noted that a new bath had been installed. However, the classrooms were said to be too small and the noisy situation of the school caused a strain on the staff. Some good chalk crayon drawing had been done by the boys. The girls were now being taught needlework and knitting and attended a centre in the neighbourhood for lessons in cookery and laundry work. A scheme, funded by voluntary subscriptions, awarded prizes for good conduct. The children had now been issued with toothbrushes.
In April 1915, the official capacity of the School was increased to 196 places.
In 1925, control of the School was passed to the Glasgow City Education Authority. On 30 September 1927, it was announced that the Authority had resigned the School's certificate of operation.
The premises, which stood at the junction of the present-day Ballater Street and Florence Street, were subsequently used as an ordinary day school. The building no longer exists.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.