Glasgow School Board Truant Industrial School / Springboig St John's School, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

In 1905, the Glasgow School Board established a Truant Industrial School for boys on a six-acre site at 1190 Edinburgh Road, Springboig, Shettleston. The purpose-built premises were formally certified for operation on 27 June 1905 and could accommodate up to 150 children (later increased to 160) aged from 10 to 14 years. The staff initially comprised the superintendent and matron, Mr and Mrs J.B. Thomson; teachers, Mr A.A.K. McArthur and Mr J.C. McGee; janitor, tailor, shoemaker, gardener, nurse and neddewoman, cook, laundress and two domestics. Mr A. Wise was the visiting manual instructor.

In the classroom, the subjects taught included singing, composition, recitation, mental arithmetic, geography, history and object lessons. The boys' industrial training included technical drawing, tailoring, shoemaking, 'manual instruction' (woodwork) and gardening. The smaller boys were occupied in darning and mending. The School had a well-equipped gymnasium and a swimming bath.

The School site is shown on the 1912 map below.

Glasgow School Board Truant Industrial School, Shettleston, c.1912.

The School resigned its certificate as of 31 August 1922. The premises subsequently became Springboig Holiday School, accommodating 130 Protestant boys. The average period of residence was five weeks.

On 18th June 1937, the site was formally certified for use as an Approved School for 130 Senior Boys, and adopted the name Springboig St John School. It was the only Senior school to which Roman Catholic boys were admitted. The school subsequently came under the management of the De La Salle Brothers, the headmaster in 1943 being the Rev. Brother Michael. The trades being taught at that date were tailoring, shoemaking, woodwork and carpentry, and market gardening.

In 1958, a 15-year-old boy led a riot at the school.

Following Scotland's 1968 Social Work Act, the School became a 'List D' School.

The School closed in 2010.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.

Bibliography

  • None noted at present.
  • None noted at present.