Cathkin House, Rutherglen, Glasgow, Scotland

In 1955, the National Children's Home (NCH) opened it first Scottish home at Cathkin House, an old mansion in 30 acres of grounds at Rutherglen, near Glasgow.

Initially, the house was divided up to accommodate children in three 'family groups', each under the supervision of a 'Sister', or house-mother. Further accommodation was provided in the form of a separate house in the grounds. A hostel for working-age teenagers was added in 1972, followed by more family-group accommodation.

After its closure, the property was used for a while as an old people's home. From around 2006 till 2010 the property stood empty but has now been converted to flats.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

  • Action For Children (formerly the National Children's Home) can provide access to care records for people who were adopted through the charity or who resided in one of its homes. Currently this service is only available to the individuals concerned and not to the descendents of deceased former residents.

Bibliography

  • Bradfield, William The Life of the Reverend Thomas Bowman Stephenson (1913, Kelly)
  • Curnock, Nehemiah The Story of the Children's Home (C.H. Kelly, 1901)
  • Horner, Francis Shadow and Sun (Epworth Press, 1920)
  • Philpot, Terry Action For Children (Lion, 1994)
  • Walpole, Cecil F. Golden Links (Epworth Press, 1941)

Films