William Street Day Industrial School, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
The William Street Day Industrial School, at Anderston, was the fourth such institution to be established in Glasgow. Its premises, converted from an old elementary school, were formally certified for operation on 19 August 1902, with accommodation for up to 100 children, aged from 5 to 14 years. The staff initially comprised: the superintendent, Miss Agnes Neilson; schoolmistress, Miss Elizabeth Reid; a cook and a janitor.
In addition to their classroom lessons, the girls were taught sewing and knitting and also assisted in the kitchen and laundry. The boys received instruction in woodwork and technical drawing. The younger children were occupied in paper folding, sewing and basket work. A drill instructor visited the School twice a week to give classes in clubs, bar-bells and free exercises.. The boys played football each week on the Corporation grounds and attended a neighbouring public baths for swimming. Like other schools in the city, children at William Street had stays in the to the countryside as part of the Fresh Air Fortnight scheme.
In April 1913, the official capacity of the School was increased to 140 places.
In 1925, control of the School was passed to the Glasgow City Education Authority. On 30 September 1927, it was announced that the Authority had resigned the School's certificate of operation.
The building was subsequently used as an ordinary day school and then as a nursery school. The property no longer survives and the site is now occupied by an NHS clinic.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.