St Vincent's Male Orphanage, Dublin, Co. Dublin, Republic of Ireland
St Vincent's Male Orphanage was established in 1856 by the Charitable Society of St Vincent de Paul (a lay organization, not to be confused with the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul).
The Orphanage occupied premises at Prospect Road, Glasnevin, Dublin. The original building was designed by John Sterling Butler with later additions by John L. Robinson, and a chapel by George C. Ashlin in the late 1890s.
The Orphanage site is shown on the early 1900s map below.
The home accommodated up to 150 destitute orphans (always referred to as 'boarders') who were lodged, clothed, maintained, educated and apprenticed. The running of the Orphanage was in the immediate hands of members of the Congregation of Christian Brothers. The institution was supported by voluntary contributions and an annual charity sermon.
The establishment closed in 1973. The buildings no longer survive and the site is now occupied by the flats of Dalcassian Downs.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Christian Brothers Province Centre, Griffith Avenue, Marino, Dublin 9. Email: email@example.com.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.