Gloucester Day Industrial School for Boys, Gloucester, Gloucestershire
In 1881, the Gloucester School Board opened a Day Industrial School of Deacon (now Archdeacon) Street, Gloucester. The establishment was formally certified for operation on January 24th, 1881. The superintendent in 1882 was Mr Lacy. The following year, Mr Allen was in charge.
The School's buildings were added on to the existing Deacon Street School premises, but were separated from them. The boys were taught alongside the day scholars in the main school, and could use the general playground when it was not required by the day scholars. Little in the way of industrial occupation was provided other than a little wood-chopping.
In 1884, the managers of the School found, as there was a free endowed school in the city, in which poor and neglected and indigent children were received, there was no great demand for a Day Industrial School. Accordingly, the School was closed on July 3rd, 1884.
The Deacon Street site was later occupied by a Technical College, and in more recent times by the Bridge Training Centre. The original School buildings do not survive.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.