Govan Parochial School, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
On 23 December 1854, the Govan Parochial School, on Eglinton Street, Glasgow, was certified under Dunlop's Act to operate as a Reformatory (later reassigned as an Industrial School), allowing it to receive children placed under detention by magistrates. The School was actually part of the Govan Poorhouse and its certification allowed the Govan Parochial Board to claim the custody of children committed under the Industrial Schools Act, and belonging to the parish. The Board received no allowance from the Treasury in such cases.
The arrangement came to an end in 1893.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.