Ian Tetley Memorial School, Hampsthwaite, Harrogate, West Riding of Yorkshire
In 1943, Barnardo's evacuated its Bruce Porter Hospital Home to a large old house known as Hollins on Lund Lane between Hampsthwaite and Killinghall, near Harrogate.
In September 1947, with the return of the Bruce Porter Home to its original base in Folkestone, Hollins continued in a similar role as a convalescent home under the name of the Ian Tetley Memorial Home. By 1975, the home had its own a heated swimming and hydrotherapy pools.
The home was closed in 1999. The site has now been redeveloped as a retirement village with all the old buildings demolished.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Barnardo's Family History Service deals with enquiries regarding records of individual children — various services are available costing from £15 upwards.
Making Connections — a service for those wishing to access their Barnardo's adoption records.
- Barnardo's historical administrative records are now deposited with Liverpool University's Social Welfare Archives with stringent restrictions on their access.
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.