Ian Tetley Memorial School, Hollins Hall, Hampsthwaite, Harrogate, West Riding of Yorkshire
In 1943, Barnardo's evacuated its Bruce-Porter Hospital Home to a large old house known as Hollins on Lund Lane between Hampsthwaite and Killinghall, near Harrogate.
In September 1947, with the return of the Bruce-Porter Home to its original base in Folkestone, Hollins Hall continued in a similar role as a convalescent home under the name of the Ian Tetley Memorial Home. By 1975, the home had its own a heated swimming and hydrotherapy pools.
The home was closed in 1999. The site has now been redeveloped as a retirement village with all the old buildings demolished.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Barnardo's Family History Service deals with enquiries regarding records of individual children — various services are available costing from £25 upwards.
Making Connections — a service for those wishing to access their Barnardo's adoption records.
- Barnardo's historical administrative records are now deposited with Liverpool University's Social Welfare Archives with stringent restrictions on their access.
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.