Barton House National Children's Home Home / Nursery, Harrogate, West Riding of Yorkshire

A new branch home was opened by the National Children's Home (NCH) in 1945 at Barton House, on Yew Tree Road, Harrogate. It replaced the NCH home at Barton on Humber which was reflected in the name of the new establishment.

Barton House National Children's Home children, Harrogate, 1946.

Barton House National Children's Home children, Harrogate, 1946.

Barton House National Children's Home children, Harrogate, 1946.

Sister Florence with David Porter, Barton House National Children's Home, Harrogate, 1946.

Sister Eleanor Sharp with James and Lenny, Barton House National Children's Home, Harrogate, 1946.

In 1949, a nursery was opened at Barton House, replacing the NCH's nearby Ashfield nursery, although for a short period both nurseries appear to have been in operation.

Following the nursery's closure in around 1961, the property was converted to become the Barton Court flats.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

  • Action For Children (formerly the National Children's Home) can provide access to care records for people who were adopted through the charity or who resided in one of its homes. Currently this service is only available to the individuals concerned and not to the descendents of deceased former residents.

Bibliography

  • Bradfield, William The Life of the Reverend Thomas Bowman Stephenson (1913, Kelly)
  • Curnock, Nehemiah The Story of the Children's Home (C.H. Kelly, 1901)
  • Horner, Francis Shadow and Sun (Epworth Press, 1920)
  • Philpot, Terry Action For Children (Lion, 1994)
  • Walpole, Cecil F. Golden Links (Epworth Press, 1941)

Films

Acknowledgment

  • Many thanks to Diana Nottage for the photos.