Keffolds, Haslemere, Surrey
In September 1942, Barnardo's opened a home for small children in a property known as Keffolds on Bunch Lane, Haslemere. In February 1946, the home was adapted for use as a convalescent home then in November 1947 became a home for children aged from 2 to 11. In August 1958, the then residents were transferred to the Netherheys home in Croydon. Although the home appears to have closed at this date, some sources suggest that it continued in operation until 1973.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Barnardo's Family History Service deals with enquiries regarding records of individual children — various services are available costing from £15 upwards.
Making Connections — a service for those wishing to access their Barnardo's adoption records.
- Barnardo's historical administrative records are now deposited with Liverpool University's Social Welfare Archives with stringent restrictions on their access.
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.