Hastings Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Hastings Borough Council.
- Hastings Union/Council Scattered Homes, 121 Mount Pleasant Road, Hastings*
- Hastings Union/Council Scattered Home, 14 Edmund Road, Hastings*
- Hastings Council Scattered Home, 23 Ashburnham Road, Hastings
- 33 Collier Road, Hastings
- Elphinstone Mount, Elphinstone Road, Hastings
- Residential Nursery, Fernside, Hollington Park Road, St Leonards on Sea
- Old Roar House, Old Roar Road, Silverhill Park, St Leonards on Sea
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Hastings Council homes may exist at:
- East Sussex Record Office, The Keep, Woollards Way, Brighton, BN1 9BP.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.