Park House Training School for Jewish Boys, Hayes End, Middlesex

In 1920, the Park House Training School for Jewish Boys was certified to operate as a Reformatory School in premises at Wood End Green Road, Hayes End, Middlesex. It could accommodate 40 boys aged from 14 upwards at their date of admission.

The School site is shown on the 1935 map below.

Park House Training School for Jewish Boys site, Hayes End, c.1935.

Park House Training School from the south, Hayes End, c.1925. © Peter Higginbotham

In 1933, Park House became an Approved School, one of the new institutions introduced by the 1933 Children and Young Persons Act to replace the existing system of Reformatories and Industrial Schools. Park House School, as it was now known, accommodated up to 40 Senior Boys aged between their 14th and 17th birthdays at their time of admission. The industrial training at the School included cabinet-making and tailoring.

In 1973, Park House became Special School. The buildings no longer survive and Rosedale College now occupies the site.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
  • The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. Holds miscellaneous documents including:
    File MH 102/275 — Manager's enquiry into allegations of assault by the Headmaster on a boy and lack of co-operation between the Headmaster and staff [Closed until 2020]

Bibliography