St Elizabeth's Residential School, Bullingham, near Hereford, Herefordshire
St Elizabeth's Residential School for Roman Catholic Girls was founded in 1861 at Bullingham, near Hereford, Herefordshire. It was run by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul. The establishment included both orphanage for poor girls and also a middle-class school. The weekly charge for each girls was from 5s.
At the start of the Second World War in 1939, the School relocated to Croft Castle, Yarpole, near Leominster. In 1946, it transferred to Broxwood Court, Broxwood, a few miles to the west of Leominster. A final move took place in 1954, to Lugwardine, near Hereford, where the School continued under lay management.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Daughters Of Charity Of St Vincent De Paul, Provincial House, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1RE. (Archivist: Sister Bernadette Ryder DC) Has Stub books of baptismal certificates. 1911-1937.
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.