St Martin's Home for Girls, Hereford, Herefordshire

St Martin's Home for Penitents, as it was originally known, was established in 1864 to 'reclaim fallen women', from the age of 15 upwards. St Martin's was run by the Church Penitentiary Association and was sometimes referred to as the Diocesan Penitentiary.

The Home occupied premises at Walnut Tree Lane (now Walnut Tree Avenue), Hereford, where up to 20 women could be housed. Those coming from within the Hereford diocese, were admitted free, while those from outside paid a fee of £5. Inmates were expected to remain two years and, as well as receiving religious instruction, were occupied in needlework and laundry work.

St Martin's Home for Girls, Hereford, early 1900s. © Peter Higginbotham

On 26th October, 1943, St Martin's was formally certified to operate as an Approved School for Girls. The premises could accommodate 20 Junior Girls, aged under 15 at their date of admission. On 21st March, 1951, the School's managers gave notice of their intention to give up its certificate.

St Martin's is believed to have finally closed in the 1960s. The buildings no longer survive and modern housing now occupies the site.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Census

Bibliography

  • None noted at present.