St Vincent's Girls' Orphanage, Hereford, Herefordshire
The St Vincent's Girls' Orphanage was established in 1875 at Berrington Street, Hereford. It was run by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul and could accommodate up to 50 girls, aged from 3 to 8 years at their date of admission
On 15th December, 1879, the home was accredited as a Certified School, allowing it to receive girls boarded out by the workhouse authorities. In 1881, the home became a mixed establishment and was re-certified on 7th November of that year. By 1912, however, it had reverted to being girls-only.
The home closed in 1969. The building no longer survives.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Daughters Of Charity Of St Vincent De Paul, Provincial House, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1RE. (Archivist: Sister Bernadette Ryder DC) Has Admission registers (1892-1967); Birth and baptismal certificates.
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.