Hertfordshire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Hertfordshire County Council.
- Barnet Union Scattered Home, Guyscliffe, 27 High Street, Barnet*
- Sparrows Herne, 1 Little Bushey Lane, Bushey Heath
- Herne House, 3 Little Bushey Lane, Bushey Heath
- St Margaret's Home for Girls, Crossway Avenue, Harpenden
- Field House, 8 Townsend Road, Harpenden
- St Albans Union / Hertfordshire Council Cottage Home, Harcourt, Luton Road, Harpenden*
- Family Group Home, 1 Tewin Road, Leverstock Green, Hemel Hempstead
- Family Group Home, 101 Datchworth Turn, Leverstock Green, Hemel Hempstead
- Family Group Home, 35 Micklefield Road, Leverstock Green, Hemel Hempstead
- Family Group Home, 51 Woolmer Drive, Leverstock Green, Hemel Hempstead
- Cattsdells, Hemel Hempstead
- Hemel Hemsptead Union / Hertfordshire Council Cottage Home, Highfield, Highfield Lane, Hemel Hempstead*
- Family Group Home, Martins, 150 Jupiter Drive, Hemel Hempstead
- Danesbury School for Boys, Warren Park Road, Hertford
- Hitchin Union / Hertfordshire Council Cottage Home, 'Briar Patch', Briar Patch Lane, Hitchin Road, Letchworth*
- Barnet Union / Hertfordshire Council Scattered Home, Rosendale, 18 King Edward Road, New Barnet*
- Rowneybury, Harlow Road, Sawbridgeworth
- Pishiobury School, Pishiobury Drive, Sawbridgeworth
- Campions, Green Street, Shenley
- Lawrence Home, 26 King Harry Lane, St Albans
- Home for Boys, 66 Lemsford Road, St Albans
- Mandeville, 84 Holyrood Crescent, St Albans
- St Margaretsbury Nursery, Stanstead Abbotts
- Bishop's Stortford Union / Hertfordshire Council Cottage Home, Haroldene, Recreation Ground, Stansted Mountfitchet*
- 106 Bury Dale, Broadwater, Stevenage
- Crouchfield Community Home, Wadesmill Road, Chapmore End, Ware
- Hertfordshire Reformatory for Boys, Wadesmill Road, Chapmore End, Ware
- Hertfordshire Training School for Boys, Wadesmill Road, Chapmore End, Ware
- Watford Union / Hertfordshire Council Scattered Home, 1-5 Ashby Road, Callow Land, Watford*
- Rufford House, 44 Nascot Wood Road, Watford
- Stanfield, Lemsford Lane, Welwyn Garden City
- Hertfordshire Children's Seaside Convalescent Home, 119 West Hill Road, St Leonards on Sea
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Hertfordshire Council homes may exist at:
- Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford SG13 8DE.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.