YLU Hospital / Legard Nursery and Family Centre, Highbury, London

In 1927, funds raised by the Young Leaguers' Union (YLU) allowed the National Children's Home (NCH) to establish a hospital on Legard Road at the north side of its headquarters site at 85 Highbury Park, London N5. The YLU was the junior arm of the Methodist's League of Light fund-raising movement, in which the church's Sunday School children participated.

YLU Hospital, Highbury, London. © Peter Higginbotham

As well as providing medical facilities, the YLH Hospital acted as a reception centre for children coming into NCH care. Over the years, its role became more that of a residential nursery. In 1968, the building was revamped to provide a day nursery on the ground floor, a family centre on the first floor, and family flats on the first and second floors.

The building was demolished when the site was redeveloped in 2010-11.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • Action For Children (formerly the National Children's Home) can provide access to care records for people who were adopted through the charity or who resided in one of its homes. Currently this service is only available to the individuals concerned and not to the descendents of deceased former residents.
  • The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU.
    File BN62/2950 — Reports of visits to nursery (1964-69)

Bibliography

  • Bradfield, William The Life of the Reverend Thomas Bowman Stephenson (1913, Kelly)
  • Curnock, Nehemiah The Story of the Children's Home (C.H. Kelly, 1901)
  • Horner, Francis Shadow and Sun (Epworth Press, 1920)
  • Philpot, Terry Action For Children (Lion, 1994)
  • Walpole, Cecil F. Golden Links (Epworth Press, 1941)

Films