Furniture Trades' Benevolent Association Home , Highgate, London
In 1921, the children's home run by the Furniture Trades' Benevolent Association moved from its original premises at Radlett, Hertfordshire, to a property at 70 Southwood Lane, Highgate, London N6. The building, formerly known as The Limes, was renamed Radlett House in commemoration of its former location.
In July, 1939, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War, the home moved to St Leonards-on-Sea, Sussex. However, with a German invasion looking increasingly likely, the home removed in December, 1940, to Aspley Guise in Bedfordshire.
The Southwood Lane premises were subsequently incorporated into the new Southwood Hospital which was in operation until 1991. The buildings have now been converted to private residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.