Hillingdon London Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run at some time in their history by Hillingdon London Borough Council.
- Children's Home, Denham Court, Denham†
- GFS Lodge, Boyne Lodge, 22 Florence Road, Ealing†
- 62 Bedwell Gardens, Hayes
- Residential Nursery, Bourne House, 97 Dawley Road, Hayes
- St Christopher's School for Boys, 201 Uxbridge Road, Hayes
- 49 Queen's Walk, Ruislip†
- 2 Maygoods Lane, Cowley, Uxbridge
- 38 Worcester Road, Cowley, Uxbridge
- 15 Mulberry Parade, West Drayton†
- 8 Walnut Avenue, West Drayton†
† indicates homes at some time also run by a county council.
The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Hillingdon Council homes may exist at:
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports (though not resident lists etc.), are held by The National Archives (TNA). A closure period may apply to these records.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Urquhart, Gloria (2020) Nobody's Child: The True Story of Growing up in a Yorkshire Children's Home
- Cooke, Allan Institutionalized in a Children's Home: Skellow Hall 1950-1963 — a true story of a child and children in a home (2012, Authorhouse)
- Cummings, Les Forgotten: The Heartrending Story of Life in a Children's Home
- Limbrick, Gudrun The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.