Twizzletig Nursery, Hindhead, Surrey

The Twizzletig residential nursery was opened in 1946 by the Children's Society (formerly the Waifs and Strays Society) on Tilford Road, Hindhead, in Surrey. Twizzletig was the original name of the property, which previously been houses a nursery during the Second World War.

The nursery housed children awaiting adoption. If this had not happened by the time they were four, they were transferred to one of the Society's other homes. The establishment was also used for the training of nursery nurses.

Twizzletig's out of the way location caused some staffing problems so in 1962 a staff house was erected in the nursery grounds.

The home closed in 1973 but continued in use as a staff training unit until 1975. The premises were then converted for use as a family support centre.

The property is now in private residential use.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.