Homerton Residential School for Deaf Children, Homerton, London
The Homerton Residential School for Deaf Children was founded in 1900. Its premises, at High Street, Homerton, had previously been occupied by training college for teachers.
On October 8th, 1909, the establishment was certified as a Special Industrial School, allowing it to receive deaf children whom the courts had committed to detention, as well as voluntary cases. The School could accommodate up 45 children, aged 6 to 16 years at their date of admission. The superintendent and matron were Mr and Mrs F.G. Barnes.
There was a special day school for the deaf at the rear of home, which was attended by the children. In addition to classroom instruction, the boys were taught carpentry and shoemaking, and the girls needlework and knitting.
In February, 1912, it was reported that there were 28 boys and 18 girls in residence, but only three boys have been committed under the 1908 Children Act. All the others were London Board of Education cases. In addition, to the resident scholars there were 14 day scholars. All these were children, who in addition to being deaf and in many cases also partially or wholly dumb, suffered from some other physical or mental incapacity, and had usually been transferred from other non-residential schools for the deaf.
In 1921, the School transferred to new premises near High Wycombe.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.