Huddersfield Borough Council Homes

Children's establishments run by Huddersfield Borough Council.

  • Clare House Hostel, 19 Clare Hill, Huddersfield
  • Oakmead Nursery, 1C Lidgett Street, Lindley, Huddersfield
  • Huddersfield Union/Council Receiving Home, 24/32 Ramsden Street, Huddersfield*
  • Hostel for Working Boys, 4 Cowersley Lane, Milnsbridge, Huddersfield
  • Ash Villa, 3 Wood Lane, Huddersfield
  • Bradley, 6 Copthorn Gardens, Bradley, Huddersfield
  • Briarcourt, 28 (later 30) Occupation Road, Huddersfield
  • Caldercliffe, Calder Drive, Berry Brow, Huddersfield
  • Church View, 1B Lidget Street, Lindley, Huddersfield
  • Dryclough, 2 Ballater Avenue, Crosland Moor, Huddersfield
  • Home for Teenagers, Fartown Grange, 28 Spaines Road, Fartown, Huddersfield
  • Residential Nursery, Fernside, 84 Aldonley, Almondbury, Huddersfield
  • Residential Nursery / Hostel, Field Head, 1 Lidget Street, Lindley, Huddersfield
  • Haigh, 76 Grosvenor Road, Dalton, Huddersfield
  • Holme Lea, 1A Lidget Street, Lindley, Huddersfield
  • Huddersfield Council Home, Lindley Moor, Huddersfield
  • Residential Nursery, Oakfield, 1C Lidget Street, Lindley, Huddersfield
  • Reinwood, 47 Burfitts Road, Oakes, Huddersfield
  • Springwood Hall Home, Huddersfield

* indicates link to pages on


Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.

Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.

Older material relating to Huddersfield Council homes may exist at:

Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.