St Vincent's Orphan Home for Boys, Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire
St Vincent's Orphan Home for Roman Catholic Boys was established in 1890 at 12 Wright Street, Kingston upon Hull. It was run by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul on behalf of Roman Catholic Diocese of Middlesbrough. The home could accommodate up to 50 boys, under the age of 14, who were classed as waifs and strays and whose faith or morals were in danger. No boy with an "incurable disease" was accepted.
On 21st June, 1908, the foundation stone was laid for new, purpose-built premises on Queen's Road, Hull.
The new building, designed by local architect Arthur Lowther, provided accommodation for up to 84 boys aged under 16.
Immediately adjacent to the home was a Roman Catholic school which the boys would presumably have attended.
By the 1980s, the premises were being used as an old people's home, finally closing in around 1995. The site was then used as a bail hostel. More recently, the buildings have been converted to residential use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Middlesbrough Curial Office, 50a The Avenue, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough TS5 6QT.
- Cleveland, Ernest St Vincent's Home for Boys
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.