Islington London Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Islington London Borough Council.
- 13 Northbrooks, Hare Street, Harlow
- 158 Collins Meadow, Hare Street, Harlow
- 2 Collins Meadow, Hare Street, Harlow
- 342 Northbrooks, Hare Street, Harlow
- 56 Ryecroft, Hare Street, Harlow
- 60 Hare Street Springs, Hare Street, Harlow
- Gorsefield Nursery, Stansted
- Dixton, Hadley Common, Barnet
- New Park House, 1 Hanyards Lane, Cuffley
- 17 The Muntings, Leaves Spring, Stevenage
- 26 Peartree Way, Leaves Spring, Stevenage
- 28 The Muntings, Leaves Spring, Stevenage
- 36 Angle Ways, Leaves Spring, Stevenage
- 39 Peartree Way, Leaves Spring, Stevenage
- 66 Hydean Way, Leaves Spring, Stevenage
- Residential Nursery, Widbury House, Ware†
- Gisburne House, 95 Gammons Lane, Watford†
London (N/NW Postal Areas)
- 32 Alexandra Road, Crouch End
- 35 Ashley Road, Crouch End
- 11/12 Highbury Crescent, Highbury
- 114 Grosvenor Avenue, Highbury
- 1-3 Elwood Street, Highbury
- 17 Ardilaun Road, Highbury†
- 29 Highbury New Park, Highbury
- 11 Sheringham Road, Islington
- 26/28 Southampton Park, Islington
- 75A Mildmay Park, Islington
- Colgrain, Dukes Avenue, Muswell Hill
- 13 Torrimgton Park, North Finchley
- Holmleigh, 35-37 Solna Road, Winchmore Hill
- Ashbrooke, 103 Park Avenue, Enfield
- Copthorne,16-18 Village Road, Enfield
† indicates homes previously run by a county council.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Islington Council homes may exist at:
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.