States of Jersey Homes
Children's establishments run by States of Jersey.
- Female Orphan Home / Home for Girls, La Rue à Don, Grouville
- Family Group Home, 108 Clos des Sables, St Brelade
- Family Group Home, 13-14 Clos de Roncier, St Clement
- Family Group Home, 9-11 Blanche Pierre Close, Le Squez, St Clement
- Brig-y-Don Convalescent and Holiday Home, Coast Road, St Clement
- Family Group Home, 42 Don Road, St Helier
- Junior Training Home, Saville Street, St Helier
- Westaway Crèche, Saville Street, St Helier
- Jersey Industrial School / Home for Boys / Haut de la Garenne, La Rue de la Pouclée, Gorey, St Martin
- Family Group Home, 46 Nicholson Park, St Saviour
- Heathfield Children's Home, Bagatelle Lane, St Saviour
- Family Group Home, Norcott Villa, Norcott Road, St Saviour
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to States of Jersey Council homes may exist at:
- Jersey Archive, Clarence Road, St Helier, Jersey.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.