Farm Hill, Kelvedon, Essex

The Farm Hill Barnardo's Home on Coggeshall Road, Kelvedon, was opened in 1940 as an evacuation home for toddlers.

At the start of 1955 it became a mixed home for older children, with the under-threes housed at "Farm Hill West" and those aged from three to fifteen at "Farm Hill East". Farm Hill was immediately adjacent to Barnardo's White Barn home and it is possible the "Farm Hill East" was synonymous with White Barn.

Farm Hill (left) and White Barn, Kelvedon, c.1907. © Peter Higginbotham

Pony rides at Farm Hill, Kelvedon, date unknown. © Peter Higginbotham

The Farm Hill home closed in August 1969. The property is now a private residence.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
  • Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
  • Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
  • Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
  • Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)