White Barn, Kelvedon, Essex
Barnardo's White Barn home on Coggeshall Road, Kelvedon, was opened as a mixed home in around 1953. White Barn was immediately adjacent to Barnardo's Farm Hill and it may at one time have been referred to as "Farm Hill East".
In 1971, White Barn took on a new role as a therapeutic community for boys aged from fifteen to nineteen, finally closing in December 1974.
The building is now a private residence.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Barnardo's 'Making Connections' and Family History Services — for enquiries relating the records of children formerly in the care of Barnardo's and those of other organisations absorbed by them.
- Barnardo, Syrie Louise, and Marchant, James Memoirs of the Late Dr Barnardo (Hodder & Stoughton, 1907)
- Batt, J.H. Dr. Barnardo: The Foster-Father of "Nobody's Children" (S.W. Partridge, 1904)
- Bready, J. Wesley Doctor Barnardo (Allen & Unwin, 1930)
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- Rose, June For the Sake of the Children: Inside Dr. Barnardo's: 120 years of caring for children (Hodder & Stoughton, 1987)
- Wagner, Gillian Barnardo (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1979)
- The Barnardo's website.
- The Goldonian Website — memories and information from former Barnardo's children.
- Pathé News item on White Barn
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.