Kensington and Chelsea London Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Kensington and Chelsea London Borough Council.
- Hostel for Boys, Wentworth House, 161 Doddsfield Road, Britwell, Slough
London (SE/SW Postal Areas)
- 5 Bolingbroke Walk, Battersea
- Short-stay Home, 94 Oakley Street, Chelsea†
- Short-stay Children's Home, 94 Oakley Street, Chelsea
- 460 Wandsworth Road, Lambeth
- 95 Howard's Lane, Putney
- 7 Creswick Road, Acton
- 49 Bassett Road, Kensington
- Reception Centre, Oxford Gardens, Ladbroke Grove
- 1 Westbury Road, Ealing
- Nanhurst Residential Nursery, Cranleigh†
- Hurlands Residential Nursery, Puttenham, Guildford†
† indicates homes previously run by a county council.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Kensington and Chelsea Council homes may exist at:
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.