Waverley Park Home for Mentally Deficient Girls, Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
The Waverley Park Home for Mentally Deficient Girls was opened in 1906 by the Glasgow Association for the Care of Defective and Feeble–Minded Children. It entrance was at the end of Waterloo Street, Kirkintilloch.
On 25 June 1909, the School was formally certified as a Special Industrial School with accommodation for 40 girls, increased to 46 places in November 1910.
On 21 January 21, it was announced that the School's managers had surrendered their Industrial School certificate and would thus no longer receive girls placed by the courts.
Waverley Park continued in operation until 1993. The buildings no longer survive and the site is now covered by modern housing.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives, University of Glasgow Special Collections, 77–87 Dumbarton Road Glasgow G11 6PW. Has Patient registers (1906–1991); Glasgow Association for the Care of Defective and Feeble–Minded Children minutes (1930–1948).
- Mahood, Linda Policing Gender, Class and Family: Britain, 1850-1940 (1995, Univeristy of Alberta Press)
- Prahms, Wendy Newcastle Ragged and Industrial School (2006, The History Press)
- None noted at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.