Catholic Boys' Home, Lambeth, London
In June 1900, the Southwark Rescue Society formally opened its newly erected home for 84 Roman Catholic boys at 5-17 Westminster Bridge Road, Lambeth, adjacent to St George's Hall. The establishment, originally founded in 1889, had previously occupied two houses on Blackfriars Road and then operated as as an auxiliary home for Dartford Industrial School. Since that date, around 3,600 boys had passed through its doors.
Construction of the new building had been made possible by £600 gift from an unnamed donor. One wing of the building was for working boys, the other for destitute boys found in the streets or rescued from the police courts, with third section to be erected for younger boys. As well as dormitories, the new premises provided club rooms, reading rooms and a spacious swimming bath.
The School site is shown on the 1935 map below.
The property is now in mixed use.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Higginbotham, Peter Children's Homes: A History of Institutional Care for Britain s Young (2017, Pen & Sword)
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.