Lancashire County Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Lancashire County Council.
- Dyke Nook, Whalley Road, Accrington
- Wood End Remand Home, Everest Road, Atherton
- Girls' Home, Cherry Tree Lane, Livesey, Blackburn
- Reception Centre, Kingsfold Drive, Penwortham, Blackburn
- Fylde Farm Reformatory for Boys, Poulton-le-Fylde, Blackpool
- Bankfield, Ainsworth, Bolton
- Burnthwaite, Old Hall Lane, Lostock, Bolton
- The Children's Home, The Old Vicarage, Bolton le Sands
- Poplar House, Moss Hall Road, Heap Bridge, Bury
- Rydal House, Chorley Hall Road, Chorley
- Calder House Residential Nursery, Highfield Road North, Chorley
- Haslingden Union / Lancashire Council Cottage Homes, Moorland Cottages, Sandown Road, Haslingden*
- Girls' Apprroved School, Meadowcroft, Pope Lane, Hutton
- Fylde Union / Lancashire Council Cottage Homes, Moor Lane, Kirkham*
- Kirkham Residential Nursery, Moor Street, Kirkham
- Lancaster Union / Lancashire Council Home (Parkside), 2 Quernmore Road, Lancaster*
- Girls' Remand Home, Slynedales, Slyne Road, Lancaster
- Girls' Home, 9 Wensleydale Drive, Leigh
- Children's Home, Chatham Street, Leigh Road, Leigh
- Woodfield Children's Home, Orchard Lane, Leigh
- Parkside School for Girls, Poplar Bank, Huyton, Liverpool
- Poplar Bank House School for Girls, Poplar Bank, Huyton, Liverpool
- Homelea Remand Home, 294 Moseley Common Road, Boothstown, Walkden, Manchester
- Reception Centre (2nd Stage), Alder Wood, Simpson Road, Boothstown, Manchester
- Moorfield Children's Reception Centre, Moorside Road, Swinton, Manchester
- Neild House, 6 Anson Road, Victoria Park House, Manchester
- Worsley Reception Centre, Simpson Road, Boothstown, Manchester
- Liverpool Reformatory Farm School for Boys / Red Bank School, Mill Lane (now Winwick Road), Newton le Willows
- Holly House Residential Nursery, Aughton, Ormskirk
- Minster Lodge, Ruff Lane, Ormskirk
- The Children's Home, The Old Vicarage, Whalley Road, Padiham
- Hostel for Girls, 113A Watling Street Road, Preston
- Children's Reception Centre, Brindle Road, Bamber Bridge, Preston
- Reception Centre (2nd Stage), Malvern House, Lacey Avenue, Penwortham, Preston
- Girls' Remand Home, Ravenscroft, Liverpool Old Road, Longton, Preston
- Lynnhurst Hostel for Boys, Stanifield Lane, Farington, Preston
- St Joseph's School, Briars Hey, Rainhill
- Briars Hey Community Home, Rainhill
- Girls' Home, Blackshaw Lane, Royton
- The Willows, 354 Birley Wood, Skelmersdale
- Birkdale Farm School Reformatory for Roman Catholic Boys, Liverpool Road, Ainsdale, Southport
- St Mary's Approved School / Blackbrook House Community Home, Blackbrook Road, St Helens
- Rainford Hall Residential Nursery, Crank, St Helen's
- Oaklands, Lowton St Mary's, Warrington
- Pilkington House, Mersey Drive, Whitefield
- Greenfield House School, Greenfield House, Carr Mill Road, Billinge, Wigan
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Lancashire Council homes may exist at:
- Lancashire Archives, Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston PR1 2RE.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.