Elms Family Home, Curry Rivel, Langport, Somerset

The Elms Family Home was opened by the Children's Society (formerly the Waifs and Strays Society) in 1969 at Curry Rivel, near Langport, Somerset. It replaced the St Edith's Home at Fareham.

The Elms, a large Victorian house in more than three acres of grounds, provided accommodation for up to 14 children, together with a dog, two cats, a hen and her chicks, and a peacock.

The home was closed in 1978, then re-opened as a holiday centre for children up to the age of 12 with developmental disabilities.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

Bibliography

  • Bowder, Bill Children First: a photo-history of England's children in need (1980, Mowbray)
  • Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society [Rudolfe, Edward de Montjoie] The First Forty Years: a chronicle of the Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society 1881-1920 (1922, Church of England Waifs and Strays' Society / S.P.C.K.)
  • Rudolf, Mildred de Montjoie Everybody's Children: the story of the Church of England Children's Society 1921-1948 (1950, OUP)
  • Stroud, John Thirteen Penny Stamps: the story of the Church of England Children's Society (Waifs and Strays) from 1881 to the 1970s (1971, Hodder and Stoughton)
  • Morris, Lester The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan (2011, Xlibris Corporation) — memoir of a boy growing up in several of the Society's homes (Princes Risborough, Ashdon, Hunstanton, Leicester) in the 1940s and 50s.