The Orphanage, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
The Orphanage was established at Leamington in 1878. The home received poor girls who, despite the establishment's name, were not necessarily required to be orphans.
The home's first premises were at 44 Grove Street, Leamington, with Hannah Smith superintending the establishment. A payment of 5s. per week was required, paid quarterly, which included clothing. Those being admitted were required to supply certificates of baptism and health, and be provided with an outfit. In 1881, there were 12 girls, aged from 2 to 14 years, in residence — 6 were recorded as 'orphans' and 6 as 'boarders'.
By 1886, the Orphanage had moved to larger premises on Holly Walk, Leamington Spa, where up to 21 girls could be accommodated.
The Orphanage is thought to have closed in the 1890s.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- None identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.