St Saviour's Home, Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire
St Saviour's Home for young orphan girls was founded in 1863 by Miss Agnes Logan Stewart who, according to the 1881 census, was a member of the religious order, the Sisters of Mercy.
Miss Stewart used her own home on Knowsthorpe Lane, Knostrop, near Leeds, as premises for the Home. It could accommodate up to 21 girls who were aged from 2 to 4 years at their date of admission. A charge of £12 a year was made for each girl. The inmates were trained to become schoolmistresses or servants.
After Miss Stewart's death in 1886, she made provision for the Home to be carried on. It was managed by a sisterhood known as the Society of All Saints' Sisters of the Poor. In 1930, the sisters found they were unable to continue the work and Miss Mary Rudge was appointed Lady Superior. The Home was closed at the start of the Second World War. After the war it was decided that the house and district were no longer suitable for use as an orphanage and the trustees applied to the court for a new scheme. The proceeds from the sale of the property were then used to make annual payments to St Hilda's School, and to the Parochial Church Councils for the parishes of St Saviour's and St Hilda's. A pension was also provided for Miss Rudge.
The St Saviour's premises were subsequently used for industrial purposes and a modern factory now covers the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- No records noted at present for this establishment — any information welcome.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.