Lewisham London Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run (at some time in their history) by Lewisham London Borough Council.
- 32 Oakwood Avenue, Beckenham
- 17 Edward Road, Bromley
- 78 Scotts Lane, Bromley
- St Vincent's Industrial School for Roman Catholic Boys, St Vincent's Lane, Temple Hill, Dartford
- Margaret McMillan Nursery, Gravesend Road, Wrotham
London (SE/SW Postal Areas)
- 3 Kingfisher Square, Abinger Grove
- Liskeard Lodge Reception Home, 12 Liskeard Gardens, Blackheath†
- Liskeard Lodge Reception Home, 27 Liskeard Gardens, Blackheath†
- Hostel for Boys, The Pagoda, Pagoda Gardens, Blackheath
- 305 Brownhill Road, Catford
- 39 Bromley Road, Catford
- 43/45 Bromley Road, Catford
- The Bungalow, Penerley Road, Catford
- 58 Westbourne Drive, Forest Hill†
- 50/52 Calvert Road, Greenwich†
- Ladywell Residential Nursery, 82 Ladywell Road, Lewisham†
- 65 Leeson's Way, St Paul's Cray†
- 36/36A Sydenham Hill, Sydenham
† indicates homes previously run by a county council.
The involvement of local authorities in the running of children's homes dates from 1930, when they took over the running of the poor relief system previously administered by Boards of Guardians. Surviving records for council-run children's homes may be held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Locating local authority records has been complicated by the various local government reorganizations that have taken place in recent times, such as the abolition of the London County Council in 1965, and the major nationwide restructuring in 1974 in which many administrative areas were created, amended or eliminated.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these repositories have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Lewisham Council homes may exist at:
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
- Cooke, Allan Institutionalized in a Children's Home: Skellow Hall 1950-1963 — a true story of a child and children in a home (2012, Authorhouse)
- Cummings, Les Forgotten: The Heartrending Story of Life in a Children's Home
- Limbrick, Gudrun The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.