Lewisham London Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Lewisham London Borough Council.
- 32 Oakwood Avenue, Beckenham
- 17 Edward Road, Bromley
- 78 Scotts Lane, Bromley
- St Vincent's Industrial School for Roman Catholic Boys, St Vincent's Lane, Temple Hill, Dartford
- Margaret McMillan Nursery, Gravesend Road, Wrotham
London (SE/SW Postal Areas)
- 3 Kingfisher Square, Abinger Grove
- Liskeard Lodge Reception Home, 12 Liskeard Gardens, Blackheath†
- Liskeard Lodge Reception Home, 27 Liskeard Gardens, Blackheath†
- Hostel for Boys, The Pagoda, Pagoda Gardens, Blackheath
- 305 Brownhill Road, Catford
- 39 Bromley Road, Catford
- 43/45 Bromley Road, Catford
- The Bungalow, Penerley Road, Catford
- 58 Westbourne Drive, Forest Hill
- 50/52 Calvert Road, Greenwich
- Ladywell Residential Nursery, 82 Ladywell Road, Lewisham†
- 65 Leeson's Way, St Paul's Cray†
- 36/36A Sydenham Hill, Sydenham
† indicates homes previously run by a county council.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Lewisham Council homes may exist at:
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB. (The Ancestry website also has LMA records relating to workhouses and other institutions — more details.)
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.