St Agnes' Orphanage, Leyton, Essex
St Agnes' Orphanage for Roman Catholic boys was established in 1871 at Leyton House, Church Road, Leyton. Its object was to maintain and educate orphan and destitute boys received from workhouses. In 1900, the home could accommodate 155 boys, aged under 7.
The Orphanage is thought to have closed by the start of the First World War. The buildings no longer survive.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Try Catholic Children's Society (Westminster), [formerly the Crusade of Rescue] 73 St Charles Square, London W10 6EJ. To enquire about access to the records of a child who grew up in one of the Society's homes, fill in the request form on the Society's website.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.