Beacon School, Lichfield, Staffordshire
Following the closure in 1924 of the Midland Truant Industrial School for Boys on Beacon Street, Lichfield, the Walsall Town Council spent almost £8,000 on purchasing the building for use as a residential school for local children who were 'mentally defective though educable.' In the summer of 1925, while plans for its conversion were being made, the site was used as a 'holiday camp' for groups of children from towns in the area.
The new establishment, known as the Beacon School, was formally opened on March 2nd, 1926. It could accommodate up to 73 boys and girls.
The older children at the school were given training in practical skills which included gardening and cobbling for the boys, and cookery, laundry work, needlework and housewifery for the girls. Some were also taught swimming, dancing and eurhythmics.
Mr G.F. Taylor was appointed as the school's first superintendent, with Mrs Taylor as matron. The Taylors were to remain in charge until their retirement in 1950. They were succeeded by Mr C.A. Norman and his wife, Jean.
The School closed in around 1990 and the property has now been converted into flats.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU. Has a few reports and other papers relating to the School.
- None noted at present.
- No surviving local records identified at present.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.