Girls' Friendly Society Home, Lincoln, Lincolnshire
A home was established in 1881 by the Lincoln branch of the Girls' Friendly Society. Its object was 'to give young girls leaving the workhouse some months' training in household work before going to service, to place them in respectable situations, and to provide temporary lodging in order to prevent their return to the workhouse.'
The Home occupied premises at 76 Newland, Lincoln, and in 1882 was officially certified to receive girls placed by Boards of Guardians. The property could accommodate 12 girls aged from 13 upwards at their date of admission. In 1884, the charge made for their maintenance was 4s. a week, plus a payment towards their outfit.
By 1907, the Home was referred to as the Orphanage and Training Home.
The Home appears to have closed at around the time of the First World War. The premises longer exist.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- The Women's Library, London School of Economics, 10 Portugal Street, London, WC2A 2HD.
- Heath-Stubbs, Mary Frienship's Highway: Being the History of the Girls' Friendly Society 1875-1935 (1935, GFS)
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.