Liverpool Borough Council Homes
Children's establishments run by Liverpool Borough Council.
- Working Boys' Home, 101 Shaw Street, Liverpool
- 12 Greenhill Avenue, Liverpool
- 19-21 Back Gillmoss Lane, Liverpool
- Kirkdale Day Industrial School, 2 Major Street, Kirkdale, Liverpool
- 2 Warrenville Road, Liverpool
- 20 Rathmore Avenue, Liverpool
- 22 Coronation Drive, Liverpool
- Woolton Vale Remand Home, 239 Menlove Avenue, Woolton, Liverpool
- Parkfield Children's Home, 30 Parkfield Road, Liverpool
- 30-32 Minver Roaad, Liverpool
- 31 Ternhall Road, Liverpool
- 4 Livingston Drive South, Liverpool
- 41 Balmoral Road, Liverpool
- 42 Alder Road, Liverpool
- New Heys Reception /Assessment Centre, 470 Allerton Road, Allerton, Liverpool
- 5 Dewey Avenue, Liverpool
- Fulwood Park Residential Nursery, 5 Fulwood Park, Liverpool
- Derwent House Remand Home, 61 Derwent Road, Liverpool
- St Christopher's Home for Girls, 7 Chesterfield Road, Liverpool
- 77 Parkview Road, Liverpool
- 81 Queen's Drive, Liverpool
- Sydney House, 9 Linnet Lane, Liverpool
- 9 Rathmore Avenue, Liverpool
- Bond Street Day Industrial School, 99 Bond Street, Liverpool
- Addison Street Day Industrial School, Addison Street, Liverpool
- Springcroft Children's Home, Aighburth Hall Avenue, Liverpool
- Westfield Children's Home, Greenbank Lane, Liverpool
- Sunny Oak, Hughendon Road, Liverpool
- Liverpool Children's Admission Unit, Livingston Drive South, Liverpool
- West Derby Union / Liverpool Council Cottage Homes, Longmoor Lane, Fazakerley, Liverpool*
- M ornington House Welfare Home for Girls, Mornington Terrace, 31 Upper Duke Street, Liverpool
- South Corporation Day Industrial School, Northumberland Street, Liverpool
- Liverpool Union/Council Cottage Homes, Olive Mount, Mill Lane, Wavertree, Liverpool*
- Fernlea Children's Home, Quarry Street, Liverpool
- Queensland Street Day Industrial School, Queensland Street, Edge Hill, Liverpool
- Hightown Truant/Industrial School for Boys, Sandy Lane, Hightown, Liverpool
- Mossfield Children's Home, Thingwall/Childwall Road, Liverpool
- St Christopher's Special School for Girls, Mill View, 1 Chesterfield Road, Great Crosby, Liverpool
- St Vincent's School, Shaftesbury House, Raven Meols Lane, Formby, Liverpool
- St George's School for Roman Catholic Boys, West Lane, Freshfield, Formby, Liverpool
- St Aidan's Nautical School for Roman Catholic Boys, Norlands Lane, Farnworth, Widnes
* indicates link to pages on www.workhouses.org.uk.
Surviving records for council-run children's homes are generally held in each council's own internal archives. Prior to 1991, however, when a legal requirement was introduced for councils to retain records of children leaving their care, the survival of such records is very variable. Contact details for local authorities in the UK can be found on the website of the Care Leavers Association (CLA). The CLA also provides guidance on accessing childhood care files, which are normally only open to the individuals they relate to.
Older records may sometimes be placed with the relevant county or borough record office. Many of these offices have online catalogues of their holdings and also contribute to the National Archives' Discovery database. Note that records containing personal data usually have access closed for a period of fifty years or more.
Older material relating to Liverpool Council homes may exist at:
- Liverpool Archives, 3rd Floor, Central Library, William Brown Street, L3 8EW.
Some records relating to council-run homes, for example inspection reports, are held by The National Archives (TNA). Again, a closure period may apply to these records.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.