St Vincent's School for the Blind, Liverpool, Lancashire
The Liverpool Blind Asylum was founded in April 1841 by the Very Rev. Dr. Thomas Youens. The Asylum's first premises were in Islington district of Liverpool. It moved in 1851 to St Anne Street, then again in 1866 to 59 Brunswick Street. Its object was 'to afford to the Catholic blind an elementary education and instruction in those branches of industry which shall be found suitable to each pupil's capacity.' The Asylum could then accommodate nearly 200 adults and children.
In June, 1899, the Catholic Bishop of Liverpool, Dr Whiteside, laid the foundation stone for a separate children's branch of the Asylum at Yew Tree Lane, Leyfield, West Derby, Liverpool. A report of the occasion recorded:
The Brunswick-road institution, it may be stated, has been enlarged several times to meet the requirements of the inmates, who now number 176, whose ages range from two to 72 years, this being the only Catholic blind asylum in the country. After careful consideration the committee resolved to build a branch school in the country, to be named St. Vincent de Paul's School of the Blind, and they secured a pleasantly-situated piece of land at the rear of Rice House, Yew Tree-lane, West Derby, where building operations have already commenced. The architects are Messrs. Sinnott, Sinnott. and Powell, Harrington-street, Liverpool, and the contractor for the work Mr. M. Fogarty, Old Swan. The new branch school will be a long two-storeyed structure, intended for the reception of boys and girls under 16 years of age, who will be sent alternately for a month to a more healthful and brighter home than that provided in the Liverpool institution. The principal front will be at the north-west of Yew Tree-lane, and there will be a large entrance and roomy corridors, leading to the right and left, giving access to the schoolrooms, day rooms, parlours, sisters' rooms, &c. The building which will be of plain Gothic design, in brick, will also embrace kitchen. laundry, and dining room, one half of which will be used as a temporary chapel, with dormitories for 26 children and an infirmary with six beds. The total cost of the new school, inclusive of furniture, will be about £4000, the money being borrowed from the Liverpool School Board at a reasonable rate of interest.
As intimated by the report, the establishment was run by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul who ran the establishment until the late 1990s.
The School is still in operation as part of the Catholic Blind Institute.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
Except where indicated, this page () © Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.