Parkside Reformatory School for Girls, Liverpool, Lancashire

The Parkside School for Girls was opened in 1917 at Poplar Bank, Huyton, Liverpool. Parkside, a Reformatory School, was run by the Church Army and could originally house up to 50 girls aged from 14 to 16 at their time of admission. The superintendent in 1920 was Miss Andrews and in 1930 Sister Bentley.

In 1933, Parkside became an Approved School, one of the new institutions introduced by the 1933 Children and Young Persons Act to replace the existing system of Reformatories and Industrial Schools. It initially accommodated up to 50 Senior Girls aged between their 15th and 17th birthdays at their date of admission. The number was raised to 70 in June, 1935. The School provided domestic training and the girls also attended outside classes. Facilities for the treatment of venereal disease were provided in the school.

The School site is shown on the 1937 map below.

Parkside School for Girls site, Liverpool, c.1937.

In July 1959, the School was renamed Poplar Bank House School and its management taken over by a local committee.

In 1973, the School became a Community Home with Education (CHE) under the control of Lancashire County Council.

The School buildings no longer survive and the site is now occupied by a bingo club.

Records

Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.

  • The bulk of the Church Army's archives have been deposited in the Bible Society Library, housed at Department of Manuscripts and University Archives, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. The material does not include minute books or admission records, however.

Bibliography